My Grandma used to make a 'chicken and white rice' dish that was out of this world ~ chicken, cream sauce, peas, mushrooms, rice, and a whole lotta loving. We used to eat it up like nobody's business as kids. I now know it was also packed with a few ingredients that in excess are not so stellar i.e. butter, full cream, rice etc. Yes it was hearty goodness. SO I wanted to make a healthier twist on this family favourite that still hit the spot with taste, texture, and umami vibes. Enter my Chx PB Cauli Rice Bowl!
- 2T Peanut Butter
- 4oz Chicken *for veg/vegan option use parsnips or tempeh
- 100g mushroom
- 150g cauliflower
- 1 clove garlic
- Spices - nutmeg, cumin, turmeric, cracked black pepper, and Himalayan seat salt *My Grandma didn't use these spices, but I think the nutmeg and cumin make this 💯💯
- I take a 'build a bowl' approach using the same pot to cook/heat everything
- I start with the cauliflower, then mushrooms, then chicken and garlic, and finally add on the PB sauce and spices.
- First, boil the cauliflower then put into the magimix and pulse for 30 seconds/until you get the rice texture. Scoop this into the base of your bowl.
- Second, use the same pot you boiled the cauliflower to cook the chopped mushrooms, only 2-3 minutes needed, then add this to your bowl
- Third and last for the cooking portion, throw in the chicken with the garlic to cook the garlic slightly. Add this final ingredient to the bowl. *see below for time saver
- Now the last additions are your PB sauce and spices!
- Add 2-3T of water to your PB and mix in a little bowl, then pour on top of your bowl as the sauce.
- Then add your spices!
- Serves = 1 *double recipe as needed
- Prep Time = 20-30 mins
- For vegetarians/vegans = I sub in parsnips/tempeh for the chicken as the warm flavour of the parsnips goes nicely with the dish.
- Peas = are also another nice addition/flavour to the dish if you like them
- I normally cook a big batch of chicken breasts on the weekend and chop up so I have chicken for the week - to add to salad/sandwiches/veggie bowls etc