"Breakie Omega 3 Powerhouse"
- 1 can normally 85g per can (in water no salt added)
- Season brand (this brand has no bpa lining can lining and is non-GMO) https://amzn.to/2INLO95
- Wild planet is also another good brand
- I opt for cans with the bones and skin, as you don’t really notice them bc/ they’re smaller fish and this makes them a great source of calcium too. (Cans with bones won’t have it on the label vs. cans without will say 'boneless skinless')
- ¼ avocado
- Ezekial Toast
- 1 slice
- Ezekial bread is sprouted bread so it’s more bio available for your body to digest, and healthier for you https://amzn.to/2ufx3IJ *the plain, sesame, and flax options are delicious
- Chili Pepper Flakes
- Sprinkle of dill
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toast bread
- Add sardines from the can right on top
- Chop up avocado on top
- Sprinkle with seasoning
*you can also try heating the sardines ever so slightly and then popping them on top if you prefer warmer
Nutritional Benefits - Omega 3, Calcium, Vitamin D, and Iron:
- Omega 3s
- One can of the sardines has approx. 1,700mg of your weekly omega 3 recommended intake (the weekly recommended intake is 1750-3500mg, so just 1 can will meet a 1/2 of your intake!)
- You could have sardines 2x a week and be all set on omega 3s for the week!
- Alternatively, getting a diverse source of omega 3s is a great idea. Flax seeds, walnuts, and chia seeds are other good options!
- One can has a whopping 28% of your recommended daily calcium intake
- Vitamin D
- One can has 15% of your recommended daily iron intake. (That Vit D sunlight we all need and miss from working indoors). This is great news as food invariably does not provide Vitamin D and good ol' fashioned sunlight is the most accessible source.
- One can has 8% of your recommended daily iron intake
* These stats don't even include the great nutrition from the Ezekial bread and yummy avocado, which would make it all the more :)