Sometimes I get asked the same wellness questions over and over...so I thought it might be helpful to share these answers here...as it might be something you’ve wondered/need help with too! If you have a wellness question you need help with, submit it on my contact page, and I will try and address it in a future post :)
Q. What are good sources of Vitamin D?
- Sunlight 30m/day!
- Wild & canned fish
- Beef liver
- Tofu, soy milk
- Egg yolks
Q.What are the most common food allergies?
A.90% of food allergies are caused by 1 of the 8 below foods.
- Tree nuts (~walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, brazil nuts, pecans)
- Wheat (+ other foods w/ gluten barley, rye, oats)
Q. How can I drink more water?
A. Bring a cup of water/water bottle with you wherever you go. Add a slice of lemon to your water. It tastes good and has natural detox and digestion benefits. 🍋🍋🍋
Q. What non-toxic Tupperware/containers do you recommend?
A. Plastic can leach harmful chemicals into food. I opt for glass containers and steel as an alternative.
- Tupperware = Pyrex “snapware” is a good option w/ varying sizes for on-the-go and at home.
- Drinks = Ball mason jars are a great option for drinks or to store nuts/seeds/granolas/anything that normally come in plastic packets.
- Water bottles = S'well has a solid line of steel water bottles for on-the-go.
Q. What are your go to healthy fats?
A. Avocado, Sardines, Eggs, GF Beef 93/7, Hemp, Flax, Nut butter, Walnuts, Almonds, Pecans, Dark chocolate & Coconut.
Q. What is a quick way to figure out if a food is healthy or not?
A. I go right to the label and look at the ingredient list and then the nutrition facts. Let's talk about the ingredients for today.
- If a food doesn't have a label = that is a good sign that the food is pretty darn good for you and doesn't have any added crapola i.e. fruits, veg, fresh meats/fish etc.
- # Ingredients = if there is a long list of things, I get skeptical i.e. for chicken nuggets it should just be chx + some breading + an emulsifier aka binding agent to keep it together (egg whites normally in home cooking)
- Unpronounceable Words = if there are words in the list you can’t pronounce or have to look up that’s another flag
Q. What are the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar ("ACV")?
- Lowers BP
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Aids weight loss
- Improves gut health & digestion
- Alkalizing to body/balances Ph
- Helps w detox & increases circulation
* You only need 2T/day to get the health benefits. I use braggsbrand.
Q. How can I check if a food product is healthy or not?
A. A great resource is www.ewg.org/foodscores
*EWG is a nonprofit org so it is not biased to any particular food company or lobbyist group. They use 3 factors to score foods: nutrition, ingredients, & degree of processing.
Q. What foods are good for brain health?
A. Berries, beans, nuts and seeds, greens, colourful veggies, and wild fish.