- Antioxidant powerhouse
- Adaptogen (helps you adapt to env’t and d2d stressors)
- Boosts energy, mood, & memory
- Helps reduce anxiety/depression
- Lowers cortisol aka stress hormone
- Helps improve chronic/adrenal fatigue
- Naturally balances hormones
- Helps balance estrogen and boost testosterone
- Helps w infertility
- Bumps up that libido ;)
Why is Maca so unique:
Energy replenishment during stressful periods = When your body gets burnt out your serotonin levels become depleted, your energy drops, and you start to crave sugar (aka instant energy). Maca helps to reboot your serotonin production, restore your energy levels, curb your sugar cravings. *The key difference, to say caffeine/sugar is that Maca is not a stimulant which is like a credit card giving you instant energy but a crash down the road, instead maca replenishes you with no dip later on.
Aids in muscle building/recovery = Maca is a good source of sterols (think steroids without the bad stuff), the compounds that promote quick muscle regeneration, so if you are focused on gaining muscle/muscle recovery, by supplementing with maca, it will help with the regeneration/recovery post a lifting workout.
Why I use Maca:
- I find that it is incredible for balancing mood, hormones, and blood sugar levels (all interrelated in the endocrine system). These areas can all come under attack when we are experiencing high stress levels, poor/lack of sleep, heavy work load, irregular schedule, poor eating schedule, that time of the month etc. That leads to high 'hi's' and low 'lows' that can feel a bit like a rollercoaster. I find that having a daily dose of maca helps to smooth out these peaks and troughs.
What brand to get:
- Navitas has a great maca powder
- Opt for USDA organic
- The Gelatinized form is more bioavailable i.e. you body digests it more easily
How much to take:
- 1tsp-1T daily (1t during lower stress periods, 1T during higher stress periods)
- It has a caramel woody taste, so 1T will definitely be noticeable whereas 1t is not and
- You can take this daily, but it it not necessary to get the most benefits.
- I normally have 1T a maca every other day or so to notice the benefits.
What to have it with:
- You can add it to oatmeal/drinks/yogurt
- Instead of coffee I have a cup of hot chocolate (my recipe here)
- If you don't love the taste but like the benefits add 1t
- If you don't mind the taste add 1T
photo credits: Top Pratiksha Mohanty, Bottom Erwin Hesry