Q. What are non-toxic deodorant options?
A. Tom’s of Maine has a solid line of all-natural deodorants. Their powder fresh one is my go to.
Q. Why should you consider switching or going without?
There are a litany of reasons but here are the biggest impact/ow shit ones:
- Toxic Buildup = Regular deodorant has aluminum/metals that can cause cancer.
- Endocrine/Hormone disruption = The parabens in standard deodorants cause endocrine disruption aka your hormones going haywire (male and female) contributing to potential hormone malformation, inteference w/ fertility, immune/nerva system disfunction etc.
- Prevents bodies natural detox method = Sweat glands/our lymphatic system are one of the main ways our body eliminates toxins. If we are consistently wearing deodorant, we are preventing our body from a major channel for naturally detoxification.
- Leads to toxin recirculation in the body = If toxins are not excreted through one of our elimination channels (our sweat being one of the main ones) toxins recirculate in the bloodstream/our body.
Q. What is the best option?
A. No deodorant
- Going without deodorant is really the best option
- You can use lemon, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar to stay smelling fresh
- You can also just sprinkle in the sink to clean your arm pits every so often during day if they’re getting a little stinky.
Q. What is my next best option?
A. Natural deodorant.
- Tom's of Maine or one of the other options I suggested above.
- You can also check the quality of your deodorant or other barnds on www.ewg.org/skindeep
Q. OK but for real, I live in the real world and have coworkers who will not like my stank?
A. Do a combination of the methods i.e.
- Days when you’re lounging at home = give your arms a breather and go no deodorant
- Days when you’re out with friends = use natural deodorant
- Days you have that VIP work meeting/hot date = use standard deodorant
This is better than nothing, that way we can be reasonable with ourselves about what is doable in all situations :)
Q. Is there a way to detox my armpits from the years of wearing standard deodorant?
A. YES! You can use a bentonite clay scrub on your arm pits to remove the toxic build up. Here is my post on how to do it. Granted you cannot reverse all the years of damage but you can start to make a dent in it!